America

America
God Bless Her

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fathers and Sons

Baseball, A Dad playing toss with his son, sons.

Watching Robbie Cano hit in the HR Derby with his Dad pitching was amazing. McGuire picking up his son after hitting #62.

There is no other game that is quite like baseball for this. Griffey Sr. and Griffey Jr. hitting back to back homers for the Mariners. Classic. The game of catch in Field of Dreams, tearjerker.

Baseball is a spiritual game. It is a man's game. Women don't play it. Not really. Kinda like a man lactating. Not right.

The connection between Dad and Son is spiritual, deep, generational with baseball. My dad tossed to me and told me stories of Carl Furillo. I played toss with my sons and told them stories about the Mick, Yogi and Reggie.

They will toss with their sons and tell them stories of Griffey and Jeter. Watching them play. Bobby will tell about the game in Baltimore where we watched Richie Sextson and Ichiro take BP. Then the game in Pittsburgh where we watched Pujols KILL the ball.

Nate will go on and on about section 39 in the Old Stadium and the tour when we stood on the same grass as the Babe, the Mick, Joe D and Jeter, sat in the dugout and went into the dressing room where Lou dressed. The roll call and the bleacher weirdo's.

Then there was the Spring Game where Griffey went horizontal and made an amazing catch to rob the Yankees, and it was so amazing we didn't care it hurt the Yanks.

One of my favorite things about the MLB All Star Game is watching the players with their kids.

When Robbie won the derby, he ran and hugged his dad, kissed him on the neck and said I love you Dad.

When he was asked about his swing in the typically stupid interviews after he said, its not my swing, it was the gentleman who was pitching to me. He is one of the best dad's in the world...

It was classy, nice, touching.

We are all trying to get to home.

1 comment:

  1. Great post.

    I can clearly remember the one time my Dad threw with me. I can remember the one time my Grandpa Dougherty threw with me. Clear as day.

    Last night at the game i was sitting next to a 12 year old (I'm guessing) with his Dad. The kid was going NUTS at the announcements of the lineups. I just loved hearing how excited he was for the game. I almost shook him and said, "WE ARE AT THE ALL STAR GAME!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!" but thought his Dad might freak out.

    Then as the first pitch was about to be thrown we noticed the 12 year old (guessing again but different kid) sitting a row in front of us sitting there playing a video game next to his Dad. I poked his shoulder, interrupted him and said, "You're going to miss the first pitch." He put his game away immediately and saw it but don't think he ever really cared. Clearly his Dad is trying by bringing him but I'd give the kid back personally if he gets to 12 and isn't a die hard baseball fan/American.

    It's true though, no other game is like baseball in the power of a toss. Just a simple game of catch. Just as simple as Ray and his Dad out on the grass as the light dies away in Iowa.

    And yes, I've heard about "The Tour" from Nate. And section 39. And the bleacher weirdos. Well done Father Stephen.

    ReplyDelete